msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] USA Kansas

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Kevin Ratcliff" <kevin@kevinratcliff.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] USA Kansas
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 15:14:22 -0400

On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:55 AM, Una Smith <una.smith@att.net> wrote:
> In some states, yes. Georgia and Indiana are states where the county
> Emergency Manager is the point of contact for SAR. In many other states
> each county has a person designated as SAR coordinator but often it is
> a deputy in the Sheriff's Office and generally the deputy does not have
> special expertise or training in emergency management. In still more
> states, the arrangements are highly variable and subject to change from
> year to year; in these states the top SAR units tend to be independent
> regional organizations.

Quick correction: in Indiana, the chief law enforcement officer
(usually the Sheriff) has responsibility (AHJ) for SAR in his/her
county. At the state level, the Indiana Department of Homeland
Security (formerly called the State EMA) does hold SAR training
courses but does not have any operational responsibility for SAR
within the counties.

However, the actual organizations that participate in SAR response in
Indiana may be entirely different than the AHJ. Many are independent
non-governmental volunteer teams, some are part of the EMA, and some
are part of the county sheriff's department.

Air SAR responsibility in Indiana is handled differently.

Perhaps you were thinking of neighboring Illinois, where I think maybe
it is the county EMA?

Kevin Ratcliff
Argus Canine Search and Rescue
Bloomington, Indiana