msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Sevin

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Sevin
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:02:53 -0600

I'll second the recommandation for sulfur powder, and to be careful with
Sevin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbaryl).

When I worked in a forest in Panama that was heavily infested with ticks
sulfur powder was a must. An additional technique many people there used
was to tuck pant legs into tall socks, and wrap a wide piece of masking
tape over the top of the sock, sticky side out.

If ticks are a problem for your horse, you could apply the sulfur powder
and masking tape to your horse's legs too. Perhaps on top of polo wraps.