msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Sevin

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Sevin
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 10:50:30 -0700

Please be careful with Sevin. It is a pretty toxic chemical- less so to humans but extremely so to bees and aquatic animals. I don't think I would ever put Sevin (carbaryl) on my skin but not everyone is as picky about toxins as I am! :-)  Here's some information on carbaryl for those of you interested.
Chris

http://www.pesticideinfo.org/Detail_Product.jsp?REG_NR=00293500320&DIST_NR=002935
"We do know that carbaryl is quite toxic to honey bees, certain beneficial insects such as lady beetles, and parasitic wasps and bees, certain species of aquatic insects, and some forms of shellfish such as shrimp and crabs. Care must be taken when using carbaryl in areas where these organisms exist."

See the full article on Cornell University’s Website:
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/facts-slides-self/facts/gen-pubre-sevin.html

http://pr-rp.pmra-arla.gc.ca/PR_SOL/pr_web.ve1?p_ukid=10031
PRECAUTIONS:  WARNING: HAZARD TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS
May be fatal if swallowed. Avoid breathing dust. Do not take internally. Avoid contact with
eyes, skin or clothing. Wear regular long-sleeved work clothing. Change to clean clothing daily.
Wash hands and face before eating. Wash thoroughly after handling.

http://hpd.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=19022002