msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] 'Tis the season...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] 'Tis the season...
  • Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 22:49:23 -0400

The fall is the season for fundraisers and other activities. We try to do
things that are somewhat related-- safety and command,control,communications
functions for public events and if we are holding our own event we try to
make it horse related.

For the first category we often provide safety responders and trail patrol
(drag) riders for local horse or walk events. This exercises our tactical
radios, first aid skills, and command functions. Considering that
Pennsylvania requires an emergency plan and services at public events any
donation we receive is a fraction of what an on-road ambulance squad charges
just to be there for an hour. At one event last October our being able to
respond off road to a fallen rider saved the dispatch of 2 volunteer fire
companies (manpower for carryout) and an ALS medic unit, that were not
needed.

The second is often a ride and seek event held where there are horse trails
but the trails have not been open to the general public or not publicized.
We held one of the first competitive events in Valley Forge National Park in
years and are currently trying to gain access to a trailhead in Fairmount
Park's Wissahickon Valley that is open but unmarked at present. Ride and
seek creates a clue seeking environment, since the clues are the answers to
the questions given out at the beginning of the ride and high score wins.

The secret is to make the assignments interesting, like the Lincoln Day
event we were iced out on last year, but not too stressful.

Irv Lichtenstein