msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NY state SAR training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NY state SAR training
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 22:04:14 -0600

Oren Levin wrote:
>I have taken the Basic Wildland class. NY DEC is the agency having
>jurisdiction for search and rescue in NY. They require the basic class
>for all searchers. The advanced class that is reference is a Crew Boss
>class.
>
>Oren Levin
>New Jersey Search and Rescue

Thank you so much, Oren!

Do you recall what was involved? How many hours of training? Was
there an assessment (written exam, pack check, field exercise, etc)?
What was the format? Slideshow? Tabletop exercises? Worksheets?
Handouts? What did the curriculum cover (table of contents level)?

Have you taken the Crew Boss class? Is it field team leader stuff,
or SAR mission management?

I am looking for ideas on how to approach certain training problems,
and also soliciting information to help other readers here (now and
in the future) decide if they should take the course themselves.

Thanks,