msar-riders - [MSAR] Dry coat on a blue heeler

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Susan J. Duke" <susanjduke@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Dry coat on a blue heeler
  • Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 10:33:33 -0700 (PDT)

Have the dog tested for allergies or use predisone prescribed by your vet for the vet.  Add fish oil capsules to each meal, start gradually and work up to 5 to 7 capsules per meal. The dog may have loose stools at first until they adjust.  Have your vet do a blood test for thyroid, sending it to the U of MIchigan test lab, costs about $60.  I have to put my dog on thyroid maintenance meds (not expensive) due to low thyroid.  He was also tested for allergies but was only borderline faint on the those, and was already not eating corn meal products.  His coat is great now, but he takes his meds and fish oil at every meal.

Susan

  • [MSAR] Dry coat on a blue heeler, Susan J. Duke, 06/04/2008