msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Request for Information

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Request for Information
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 12:49:19 -0700

Howard Smith wrote:
>I just joined this list.

Welcome Howard!

>It occurred to me that it would be a great endeavor to
>start a mounted search and rescue group in Butte, MT.

Butte is in Silver Bow County, correct? Adjacent Madison and nearby
Gallatin counties both have established MSAR units. See links here:
http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/units/#Montana

Once you get to the stage of recruiting members, send an e-mail to
msar@lists.ibiblio.org to get on the units link directory above.

There are other Montana MSAR folks on this list; you may hear from
them off-list. See also our web archive, which is searchable, like
this:

http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alists.ibiblio.org/pipermail/msar-riders+montana

>How do I train horses, riders

I suggest as you are just starting out that you set your recruiting
threshold high and *avoid* the need to train any horses and riders.
Ideally, recruit people who already have SAR or first responder
experience, who are also horsemen. Given your location, they must
exist. Many Montana counties use horse packers and other horsemen
as informal SAR resources. Have you connected yet with your county
sheriff's office SAR coordinator? Ask about who they call for SAR
and in a mounted SAR resource what skills do they need most?

There is an incorporated SAR team in Butte, 15-90 Search and Rescue.
What can you tell us about them?