msar-riders - [MSAR] GIPPED ON GPS?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] GIPPED ON GPS?
  • Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 10:50:20 -0800 (PST)

PESPONDING TO:
Message: 1
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 14:13:54 -0600
From: "Thor Burfine" <thor@cpcinc.net>
Subject: Re: [MSAR] (no subject)
To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>

It sounds more like the mapping company has some poor maps they are
putting
in the devices and not the GPS units themselves

Thorton K. Burfine
thor@cpcinc.net
C - 832-651-6328
F - 832-550-2749
THOR,

The GPS systems on the market are equipt basically with , whatelse, the basics....anymore than that the companies themselves woudl not make any money!  And you are right, software upgrades need to be added to most of the mapping on many GPS that are available to the general public.

What we have found that most GPS  for street travel don't even have truck routes in them so look out for that low bridge or other obstacle you might encounter on route.  The more sophisticated the system, so too is the price.

A lot of people are using laptop systems combined with their GPS where the mapping is more accessible but you still may need to BUY into the new maps for the computer.  Truckers do this. I find when my partner is on route and has trouble getting there with his GPS, I end up trying to do also map searches and tracking  on line and then will have to email or text his routing to him if he is enroute or It helps to have a phone that accepts the email...especially if you are not able to carry a laptop...

There is sophisticated mapping out there, just not available to the average Joe.

K. Nesbitt
VMSAR - Iroquois County
Illinois
spanishequines (at) yahoo (dot) com

PS - if you are receiving duplicates of my email, it is due to the high water table effecting my dial up.  A thousand trianed gophers are working on the problem, but what we need is one good drainage engineer!  I am afraid the engineer is outnumbered.

  • [MSAR] GIPPED ON GPS?, Karen Nesbitt, 03/05/2008