msar-riders - [MSAR] Spring training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: MSAR <msar@ibiblio.org>
  • To: MSAR Riders <MSAR-Riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Spring training
  • Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 14:54:49 -0500

MSAR-Riders,

It is that time of year again, in the northern hemisphere at least, when
we plan our training schedules for the year. What do you have planned?

I am thinking about volunteering with the Hardrock 100 mile endurance
race (runners, not horse riders, alas) in southern Colorado. There is
also the Santa Fe Trail (horse) endurance race. I am thinking about
putting on a competitive trail ride, maybe with a SAR-style detection
experiment as part of the ride. A NACMO chapter (competitive mounted
orienteering) is starting up in southern New Mexico, unfortunately a
7 hour haul for me. Most of these activities would improve my skills
as an ICS Planning Section Chief, with some operations and logistics
thrown in.

In 2007 I participated in several SAR training missions, but while my
kids are little my ability to respond for real SAR missions (ie, on a
moment's notice) will be limited.

Mounted Search and Rescue
http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/

MSAR-Riders
http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/msar-riders.html

  • [MSAR] Spring training, MSAR, 02/02/2008