msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] FYI: Space storms article and their effect on GPS technology

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] FYI: Space storms article and their effect on GPS technology
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 19:23:47 -0500

The GPS signal is a highly complex digital message, not just a radio wave. However, due to its very low signal strength and proximity to other services in its band it can easily be jammed or rendered unusable.  Batteries are also needed.  Solar flares can take out any RF or Electricity based system, not just GPS.  You will see disruption in terrestrial microwave, cell phones, even broadcast TV, and utility power.  The only systems that may have some immunity are fiber optic cables with heavily shielded electronics.

Whether you use or used GPS, LORAN, OMEGA, DECCA, TACAN, or just HFDF it not wise to rely on only one system or type of system. Even without active or malicious interference most systems are vulnerable.  We used to kill VW’s with early Bosch electronic fuel injection systems on the radar range with one pulse in 1985 and one reportedly was done in by a 27 MHz CB transmitter.

Irv Lichtenstein