msar-riders - [MSAR] FYI: Space storms article and their effect on GPS technology

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] FYI: Space storms article and their effect on GPS technology
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 08:04:26 -0800 (PST)

There is a front page article in the Thursday, Jan. 10, 2008 Kansas City Star you can access I believe by going to www.kansascity.com   It predicts that solar flares will start scrambling GPS satellites in an 11 year cycle beginning this March.  The gist of it is we will still need to navigate to some degree by map, trail marking and compass because GPS technology will not always be reliable or available.  So always have a back-up method.

Dana Snyder