msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] SAR ends with body found in Georgia

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] SAR ends with body found in Georgia
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:44:34 -0500

Searches sometimes don't get started at all.
People don't get reported for days after they have missed a return date
The locals don't look
Parents, friends, lovers, others don't want to admit the person is (pick a
reason) missing.
The cops brand the subject a runaway.
"He will make it out on his own"
And the new reason-- the spouse/lover/friend/local serial killer did it so
why look for a body.

We rarely have trouble scaring up manpower for a search-- if the urgency is
there. But looking 100 days later? And we sometimes find more than we were
looking for. Went on a water search for one and found 3 (and a car, but the
kids are still missing 10 years later), went for one drowning victim and
found the previous day's suicide as well. And these were outside our usual
service areas, because the locals did look and then asked for help.

What we are seeing is that if the effort is made early and hard we find them
if they are in the wilderness or the woods alongside a road, a lake, etc.
When nobody cares, nobody looks, and nobody gets found.

Philadelphia Police are looking for a serial rapist who murdered a jogger.
They have four DNA linked cases and a sketch that the surviving victims all
agree on and no suspect after 4 years. An officer walked in on an armed
robbery and was killed. The suspect was picked up in less than 5 days,
including extradition, and searching several hundred neighborhood houses. Is
there a different level of effort? Sure there is.