msar-riders - [MSAR] IL TRUCK WRECK

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>, "Mounted search and rescue in Illinois USA." <msar-il@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] IL TRUCK WRECK
  • Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2007 09:43:59 -0700 (PDT)

Dave -

Or someone, can you satisfy my curiousity regarding the Illinois truck wreck...just how were those horses loaded onto that double decker?  Were they on the top deck and if so, what type of facility would be needed to load and off load those animals?

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't it be necessary to have a very long ramp to get those animals on the top portion of the decker?  I envision a total nightmare in loading and off loading these animals because of the height they would have to go to get to the top deck, and Lord knows how any inexperienced horse would load under other circumstances given other types of trailers.  A long tall ramp and a misstep.. sheesh!

Were the horses tanquilized to get them up that steep incline, or did they have some type of building to accomodate the loading of those animals at one facilty to the next?

So then, to load these horses, please tell me what kind of facility handles that?

Thank you.

Karen Nesbitt
Iroquois County
Illinois - USA

PS - On the subjuect of tranquilizing, some horses do not do well and will actually get wild under the dart.  Horses are notorious for not handling the drugs well and the drug will work adversly.  Example:  case when Ruffian the famous thoroughbred thrashed wildly after surgery...but other instances are often when people use drugs to calm their beasts to load and I have personally seen horses nearly kill their handlers because the drug was not working as expected.