msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Getting it together, looking at it from both sideds of the fence

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Getting it together, looking at it from both sideds of the fence
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 23:07:26 -0700

Seems to me that too often the personnel that are paid to do this versus the volunteers that are not manage to equate that the people who are UNPAID are a bunch of lacky amateurs. How pathetic that mentallity is when infact some of those volunteers can do just as good a job or even better than some of those who are paid.

I have a different experience I guess. In the searches I've been on the paid personnel (usually law enforcement tyeps) are respectful of the trained and experienced volunteers and thankful for their help. The trained volunteers are accounted a serious part in the deployment of the teams and their findings are treated seriously. Most of the MSAR folks I know are not paid and give of their time and money to get training with authorized and validated groups. That makes them volunteers- but trained and experienced volunteers- which is far different from untrained, inexperienced volunteers with no unit affiliation who show up expecting to be utilized.

And yes, when it comes to doing a search with a bunch of people I choose to have someone next to me who has training and experience in difficult and potentially dangerous situations because I don't want to have to pull someone out of danger when I should be searching for the missing person. I also prefer to be riding with others who are aware of crime scene, track, and evidence preservation so that we do not destroy what may be the clues to a successful mission. The best way I can tell if others have the necessary experience is through their association with an authorized group.

Now if you are talking walking through neighborhoods, shouting a name, plastering up posters- bring on everyone who can walk!

Karen, would you please remind me where you got your MSAR experience and training, which team you were affiliated with, and how long you were affiliated with them? I seem to have forgotten this information but I'm sure you've mentioned it all before. It helps to be able to understand everyone's position when you know where they are 'coming from'.

Chris Pennington