msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Getting it together, looking at it from both sideds of the fence

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Jeff Ezell <eztech@pdq.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Getting it together, looking at it from both sideds of the fence
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 00:59:13 -0500

Well said Karen. I'm tempted to say more but I think you've done a great job hitting the nail on the head.

Bravo Karen...Jeff Ezell

On Thu Oct 4 23:15 , Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com> sent:

It's like this folks, as long as you have a census and you continue to ask if people are black, white or purple, professional or amatuer or volunteer, you will continue to spur arguement because in any census you are still having segregation and discrimination.

Seems to me that too often the personnel that are paid to do this versus the volunteers that are not manage to equate that the people who are UNPAID are a bunch of lacky amateurs.  How pathetic that mentallity is when infact some of those volunteers can do just as good a job or even better than some of  those who are paid.

I have worked my fair share of government jobs and  in my life I have seen my fair share of worthless patronage jobs.

Perhaps look at it from a different point of view and take a walk in the victims shoes and you will find yourself not giving a rats fanny if the "body"  that comes to your rescue was  an amateur or a pro, a horse or a dog, just as long as whomever came DID SOMETHING to rescue or recover them.  I am sure they simply do not give a damn if you are paid or not or even whether you have insurance or even experience etc.  The victims probably could care less about your resume and that only that you are a GOOD SAM.

As the population grows, so to does the potential for disaster, so folks, don't cut your noses off to spite your faces and exclude ANYONE if they want to be involved.  You never know when that "body" is going to be the one that just might save your life.  The general public is getting to be more survival minded day by day so isn't it smart to get with the "program" and get with ALL people and WORK with it?  I can see why so many communities have more than their share of crime because there is a blatant lack of "community" and in blatant terms, too many "good old boys" in it for themselves.   There are programs missing that draw the community together and becasue of that, they are also split apart.  I find the real  tradgedy is that too often it takes a disaster to bring a community together when that community should have been functioning well before hand and was not.

I was recently involved in a conversation with someone who was adamant about the segregation of church and state.  While that might have merit for some people, this person
that I was having this discussion with had absolutely no clue as to how many people of faith
did more for the common good when it came to disaster relief efforts as in the cases of Katrina or the India earthquakes etc. and for the sake of the victims and how many of those fine folks were volunteers.  Until you have worked with these missions and missionaries, you have literally no clue and when you work with these people, the volunteers live it, breathe it daily and they give of free will.  And if you have not worked with them, you might just consider this, they are a member of a church.

It is also  a fact of irony that when you bring a group of horsemen together, there is always arguement as to what care is better or what training method is better or what feed, breed or saddle etc....It is a fact too, that we all can carry away a peice of knowledge from anyone who engages in  this conversation of how too and why.  And it is a fact that when someone NEEDS HELP, those with helping hands will leave NO ONE BEHIND whether they are paid to do it or NOT.  And never assume that that volunteer standing or riding next to you is
a total lacky just because he or she is not getting paid or had an education like you.

Karen Nesbitt
VMSAR
Iroquois County
Illinois - USA