msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 55, Issue 6 - SADORUS SEARCH

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 55, Issue 6 - SADORUS SEARCH
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 11:46:45 -0700 (PDT)

RESPONDING TO:
Message: 2
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:44:05 -0400
From: "Marie Lester"
Subject: Re: [MSAR] Subject: Re: ARNETTE SEARCH FOR LOST MOM
To: "Mounted search and rescue"

What a difficult situation, Karen. I Googled the distance/ time and
discovered it is a 6 hr drive for us. Then there is the issue of
lodging and horse boarding. We did travel 2.5 hrs last June and were
lucky enough to stay in the Fire Dept. That unit found free and safe
board for our horses, as well. I wonder if you might still be able to
serve by landing some free lodging and board for those who drive quite
a distance. It is disappointing to relinquish the team experience of
working with your horse, but if you still want to be involved, this
might be an avenue for you.

I am not able to assist in this case, as we have a potential search in
our back yards again.

Good luck,
Marie

MARIE -
You know it....Thanks for your thoughts. Our ranch is located north of Rt 24 and Rt 1.  For more details you can email me privately and we can discuss anyones coming. THAT we can do!  Large vehichles with trailers can turn around in our parking lot with relative ease.

We are more than willing and able to give layover lodging for  MSAR or horsecampers and horses, however, due to emergency cut backs to which we have been literally scalped to the gills, we carry no insurance for this and therefore, anyone and I mean anyone coming here is to be responisble for their own and by strickly by hold harmless of any injury, damages including anything resulting in death etc and we request a horsemans waiver be signed.  Just depends on how many come at a time as space is a consideration to and as we have no stalls only pens and a resident stallion so horses may have to be picketed or stay within their trailers overnite.  If they require a motel, there is one in town and not far....they would have to camper or tent it here.  Dogs need to be leashed or contained.  The resident dog here is extremely jealous!!  And by all means, keep a GOOD watch on children.

I am also more than willing to take in generic horses for their end of the trail boarding especially horses that are not fit for riding that need that place for pasture.  But again, space is limited and the IMMEDIATE problem is hay, but we are open to discuss arrangements for this and their permanent resting needs in that respect.  We are not a cemetary for outside animals but could be that one stop right before....  This is just something my husband and I recently discussed and seems practical for us and our situation...cutting riders liabilities out completely since no one would be riding, but offering a place to retire that special mount.  The horses here enjoy the freedom of pasture, shelter, but are OUTDOORS 24/365.  Half the herd here are age 20 or older!

As for our current hay situation.. it is not looking good.  Anyone able to bring hay our way, it is a debt we cannot repay.  We normally utilize those large 1200 pound round grass hay bales as it is the easiest for us to handle that way.  I can handle storage of about 15  of those big boys at a time to give you an idea of what is available for sheltered hay storage.    I also wil go through 15 of those with ease before we start to see spring.

Ok, now, BE REMINDED anyone attending the SADORUS search, THAT SEARCH it is not in my county.  You are heading south of me towards DECATUR.  I am in Iroquois county further north roughly about an hour and just roughly 12 miles west of the Indiana border. Again, email me privately if you require directions to our ranch though.  GOOGLE SADORUS for your directions there.

I have one Paso mare here that could use some hours put on her...but seriously needs an experienced rider  as she is not ready to go out of the pen yet.  Maybe next year if we can get help on her..if things work out... I can hit the trails again. Anyone interested in a foal in trade for some of her training, that could be arranged in trade of cash flow.  Same on hay.  I have 3 open broodmares that could easily be bred to our Paso Fino stallion......speak now before they go dormant for the winter ....they are gaited and wellbred....super mothers, excellent producers and two of the mares are nurse mare prospects...one has a foal on her and has kept her nursing for over two years.  Got an orphan, we might have milk!

I don't know what else to say at this time.  Thanks for posting me with your thoughts though.  We are searching all avenues to solutions here that is for sure.  We are at an all time low in our operations for sure and I am begging hay and are truly over worked and always underpaid.

Karen
spanishequines@yahoo.com

PS - I will post here when we need a volunteer with a backhoe....

"Old searchers never die, they just trail away."

  • Re: [MSAR] MSAR-Riders Digest, Vol 55, Issue 6 - SADORUS SEARCH, Karen Nesbitt, 09/27/2007