msar-riders - [MSAR] Legislation Allows Veterans to Salute the Flag

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Hal Sikes" <halsikes@hotmail.com>
  • To: "Discussion list for Search and Rescue" <sar-l@ml.islandnet.com>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Legislation Allows Veterans to Salute the Flag
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 23:56:06 -0000

Not SAR related, but definitely applies to many on this List.

Just thought that I would pass on new legislation clarifying allowing
Veterans and service members not in uniform to salute the flag. This may
seem like a small change,but I will now render a smart hand salute to the
flag during all appropriate public events. I would ask you to pass this on
to any current service members or Veteran

Inhofe Legislation Allows Veterans to Salute the Flag

Ryan Cassin, 07.26.2007

WASHINGTON, D.C. - U.S. Senator Jim Inhofe (R-Okla.) today praised the
passage by unanimous consent of his bill (S.1877) clarifying U.S. law to
allow veterans and servicemen not in uniform to salute the flag. Current law
(US Code Title 4, Chapter 1) states that veterans and servicemen not in
uniform should place their hand over their heart without clarifying whether
they can or should salute the flag.

"The salute is a form of honor and respect, representing pride in one's
military service," Senator Inhofe said. "Veterans and service members
continue representing the military services even when not in uniform.

"Unfortunately, current U.S. law leaves confusion as to whether veterans and
service members out of uniform can or should salute the flag. My legislation
will clarify this regulation, allowing veterans and servicemen alike to
salute the flag, whether they are in uniform or not.

"I look forward to seeing those who have served saluting proudly at baseball
games, parades, and formal events. I believe this is an appropriate way to
honor and recognize the 25 million veterans in the United States who have
served in the military and remain as role models to others citizens. Those
who are currently serving or have served in the military have earned this
right, and their recognition will be an inspiration to others."

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

  • [MSAR] Legislation Allows Veterans to Salute the Flag, Hal Sikes, 08/31/2007