msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Screws

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "IRVIN LICHTENSTEIN" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "'Mounted search and rescue'" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Screws
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:19:15 -0500

To reply to both Chris and Una-- My Percheron usually stands very still if
he gets in anything because he knows a person will come rescue him. He did
once break some reins by hooking a fence post but he didn't panic or pull,
he just kept walking. The horse that did the door was not mine, was a
"first show" horse but I have found that no matter how well trained Murphy
will come get you unless you plan for his arrival.

A throw away lantern battery may be big enough to carry you through the
night. If you are looking at re-chargeables a couple of amp hour burglar
alarm back up is probably enough. The size constraint is the question-- a
fence pole is a fence pole long no matter what you do. A spool of conductor
is about the size of your fist. The charger is also not very friendly in
size but they are getting smaller.

Since our policy is to work through the night we usually only camp out at
base/trailer/field locations with some support available (like somebody to
carry the battery in for us) for the off duty/ rehabbing teams. That is
another reason to work at night-- no rubbed legs from fence charger
batteries.

Irv Lichtenstein