msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Another Search

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: kathy goodrich <katgood2000@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Another Search
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 12:51:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Chris,

What state and county are you with?

kathy(Sacramento County)

Pennbo's <pennbo@verizon.net> wrote:
We train at night several times a year. Horses see much better than we
do and if you watch them they will alert to things you can't see.
Depending on your terrain night searching can be safe and effective.
We've not been called to do extensive night searching as our county is
not overly comfortable with the idea but we are trained if it ever
becomes necessary. It's amazing the change in some horse/rider teams at
night- a horse that normally will cross water without a pause may decide
it is NOT crossing in the dark. Interesting stuff that it's best to know
about beforehand.

We have several ways of handling our horses overnight. Usually left to
the individual to choose what works best for them. We have strung a high
line between two trailers instead of two trees- works fine and is a good
option for those areas where there aren't any trees! My preference is a
portable electric corral but I occasionally trailer tie as I want my
horses to be familiar with the process. Any restraint that allows the
most freedom of movement is best for your mount- it will help alleviate
sore muscles and keep them from stocking up after a hard days ride. A
friend has a portable elec unit designed for packing- solar charger and
light weight fencing. I am considering getting one- my horses live in
elec fencing and are respectful of it. There are small, red battery
operated lights you can attach to the poles to keep folks from running
into them. However anyone wandering around an overnight SAR camp should
be VERY careful anyway- folks don't appreciate being stepped on when
they are grabbing a few hours of sleep!

We are on high alert here due to extremely high temps and serious
drought conditions- and the 4th of July in two days. Thunderstorms
expected at the end of the week- with lightning. Which all mean fire is
a major concern right now. Everyone send us some thoughts of rain!! I do
not want to have to go into evacuation mode!

Chris