msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Another Search

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: una.smith@att.net
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Another Search
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2007 15:05:34 +0000

Marie Lester:
> I need to clarify my previous comment about picketing our horses. I should
> have said that we string a tie line, and then tie the horses to that, which
> is above their heads, but the lead is long enough for the horse to reach the
> ground.

That's a "high line". A "picket line" is a long rope on the ground, anchored
at intervals by picket pins, to which horses are tied side by side, as if in
standing stalls. I have not seen a picket line in person, only in photos and
old movies.

> I do not sleep well when I have my horse that way, however, and
> insist on being near the horse. They will sometimes lie down, and I have
> heard of one case in which the horse caught a foot in the line.

If the horse is rope broke, it shouldn't be a big problem. I have seen more
than a few rope-broke horses get a foreleg over their tie rope without panic,
and some of them are smart enough to get the foreleg back off again. Anyway,
if in doubt, at night some people take away the feed and water and tie the
horse short enough to cut to near zero the risk of getting a leg over the
rope.

I like to stay near the horse when away from home, no matter what arrangement
is used. I sleep just fine, using a high-line.

Electric fences can be a problem for SAR overnights; too many people coming
and going in the dark means the risk of someone getting shocked by the fence
is high. That said, a lot of horse campers use them; high-lines can do too
much damage to trees, even if tree savers are used to protect the bark. The
horses still spend hours standing in the trees' root zones.

One interesting variation on a high line is to use a pole at the trailer, or
two poles away from the trailer, instead of trees. The poles are supported
by anchor ropes tied to stakes. This is used in the Western US and I see it
in National Geographic photos of "nomadic" horse-people gatherings.

> I have ridden in the dark---specifically a midnight ride once. Though I
> could not see my hand in front of my face, the horse did great.
> The lead rider did have a flashlight......

That flashlight is why you couldn't see anything. For making speed on foot
at night (not searching) I prefer that only the last person use a flashlight.
When searching st night, I usually leave the flashlight off. Orienteering
at night this way, my time was very slow but only because I encountered so
many other orienteers who were using a light and each time I had to wait for
my night vision to return.

> I would love to learn how operations work in different areas of the
> country.

Me too!

If spontaneous volunteers are an important element of SAR missions where you
are, some of your unit members might want to take the EMI self-study course
(free!) on managing volunteers. It is now part of the FEMA Independent Study
Program: IS-244 Developing and Managing Volunteers,
http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is244.asp

Una