msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Screws

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: porleslie@aol.com
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Screws
  • Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2007 01:26:10 -0400

I have at one time or other tried most of the tricks that Irv mentioned, but I have found that simply tying the horse to a picket or more often my trailer seems to work the best.  If horses are not accustomed to being tied, slip the rope through an eight or ten foot length of old garden hose.  This will greatly reduce entanglements and virutally eliminate rope burn.  After the horse becomes accustomed to being tied out I simply use a soft kernmantle rope such as most lead ropes are made of.

Porter Leslie