msar-riders - [MSAR] Helmets

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "STEVE GASCA" <steve.gasca@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>, <msar-astm-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Helmets
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 07:15:46 -0700

Since the subject of helmets keeps coming up, I thought I'd forward part of an email I received today from mounted police trainer Scott Hanson (www.horsethink.com). Have a great day! Anona Gasca

Wearing a Helmet

For those of you who have had the chance to see me at an expo, you know that there’s one important theme about riding that I stress in almost every demo.  Safety.

On average, every four days someone dies from a horse-related incident, and there are more than 75,000 trips to the hospital every year.  And those are just the injuries that are reported.

There are quite a few things we can do to ensure our personal safety on a horse.  But none of them are as effective as one simple product -- and that’s the riding helmet.  Before you stop reading, believing this is going to be another lecture on wearing a helmet, let me tell you that you will learn more than that here.

While I think that we should all wear helmets, I know if you keep reading you’ll understand more than you knew before about the dangers of NOT wearing one.  I’m not going to simply remind you that you could get a head injury without one.  We all know that already.  I want to explain more about how head injuries occur and just exactly how violent they can be -- even in a low-impact situation.

Read the full article here.