msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] MSAR & Cushing's Disease

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Jecasse@aol.com
  • To: marie.lester@gmail.com, msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] MSAR & Cushing's Disease
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 16:05:31 EDT

My 8-year-old half Standardbred, half TWH gelding was diagnosed as being insulin-resistant almost 2 years ago.  The way my Vet described it, insulin resistance is sometimes a precursor to Cushings.  My gelding acted like he was starving all the time (no fence could contain him if there was grass on the other side) even though he was actually overweight.  He also had a cresty neck, and was overweight even when fed a small amount of grass hay each day.

We thought he was just an 'easy keeper' until his feet began to suffer.  That is when the Vet ran several tests on him, and diagnosed him as being insulin resistant.

My Vet recommended a magnesium supplement, and also suggested I put a muzzle on him whenever he had access to hay or grass (to slow down his eating).  I mix the magnesium supplement with a tiny amount of oats and water and give it to him once a day.  It has made a big difference!

Although he is still an easy keeper, his feet are in great shape (he has never worn shoes) and he does not eat as frantically as he used to.  His diet has not changed, other than the addition of magnesium (he is still fed a good-quality grass hay.)  These days he has more muscle than fat, and his endurance is much better.  Last fall I took him through a 2-day training clinic for police horses, and he did great.

It is our hope that he will not develop into a Cushings horse as long as he responds so well to the magnesium.

- Jan -

See what's free at http://www.aol.com.