msar-riders - [MSAR] MSAR & Cushing's Disease

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Chuck Daniel" <iwhound@voyager.net>
  • To: <MSAR-Riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] MSAR & Cushing's Disease
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 20:34:36 -0400

Hi All,
I just got a real kick in the gut.  My MSAR horse, a Rocky Mountain, has just been diagnosed with Cushing's Disease.  He is young, just 10 years old and still in great condition.  I picked up on it only since he developed laminitis.  When Doc Ann came, she was suspicious and decided to draw blood for some tests.  The test came back and indicated Cushing's Disease.  From what I have gleamed off the internet, Meeco still should be god for MSAR work, but will be problematic in that while out on patrol he won't be allowed to graze at will.  Also, horse camping will be trying.  Have any of you had a MSAR horse with Cushing's Disease?  If so, how did you handle the restrictions while on camp-outs.  This really has me down.

Chuck Daniel
VP KVMSAR
KD8EIL