msar-riders - [MSAR] Anyone who needs support with an EPM horse is welcome to email

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Anyone who needs support with an EPM horse is welcome to email
  • Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 22:27:47 -0700 (PDT)

I just wanted to let anyone who is dealing with equine protozoal myeloencephalitis also called "possum disease" to feel free to email me if I can be of assistance or point you to resources.  I have become more knowledgeable than I wished when my gelding was diagnosed over 3 years ago.  For the best hope of recovery early diagnosis is key, but it can present as subtle lameness or toe dragging esp. hind limbs in the early stage.  EPM is a protozoan that migrates to the brain and spinal canal that is very difficult to destroy and treat.

Next is the decision for aggressive treatment or not as the best approved medicines to treat it such as Marquis  and Navigator cost about 900.00 a month and the most recent recommendation was to go at least a month and ideally 2 months without interruption.  A good talk with your vet is needed.  The older liquid antiprotozoal/sulfa drug can cost about 100.00 a month if generic.  The trade name "Rebalance" has been hard to obtain and is more expensive I am told.  There are no guarantees that the affected animals will recover completely or be able to return to their original work, but it happens.  Relapses with stress are common.

My 19 year old appendix gelding had a history of right hock arthritis, so I mistook a dragging toe for a flare up and started a course of generic injectable joint medicine from the vet.  Within a week or so it became obvious it was much more and he was having trouble balancing and using his hind legs.  Although he received a total of 3 months of Marquis (with interruptions) and one month of Navigator, he took  about a year to be able to be ridden lightly.  He could not safely jump again, but could do light work, an occasional dressage lesson, flying changes and trail rides an hour or less.  He could not be retired in pasture as he did not have the stamina to keep up with the herd 24/7, but could be turned out most of the day and rest at night in a stall.  He had a permanent intolerance of very hot and cold weather.  His years of faithful service deserved to be honored and he taught us much. He was not goint to be able to handle MSAR work, but he was our family pet.

Every horse will be affected differently depending on where the protozoans are concentrated, how they respond to treatment,  the age of the horse and any other preexisting problems.  Some horses have permanent personality changes and become aggressive which I did not experience.  Unfortunately, "Bailey" already had another problem similar to mild narcolepsy where he would nod off if he was tired or stood too long.  I felt very fortunate to have his company for another 3 years when the disease appeared to reactivate in early May.  He became gradually more stiff and crooked, amost "girthy".

This time he responded to treatment only as long as he received Banamine to help with brain swelling and inflammation.  The vet was more aggressive this time with IV DMSO in IV fluids, several days of steroids and the antiprotozoal paste ASAP.  Our vet suggested neck,/cervical spine films because his front limbs were affected this time.  These showed the ravages of arthritis and cord compression possibly from falls or pulling back on a tied halter.  The instability of his neck and potential to trip or fall and hurt himself or others meant we had to go through with euthanasia. We miss him greatly.

The things I have learned about prevention are another subject and I have written too much.  I hope this can help someone else.  Sincerely, Dana

  • [MSAR] Anyone who needs support with an EPM horse is welcome to email, ALLEN SNYDER, 05/31/2007