msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Equipment

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Equipment
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2007 22:10:25 -0400

Chris,

Our MSAR Team uses the same list, but with a different title name. We require all team members to carry the Personal First Aid and Survival kit items on their person, which all fits into a midsize fanny pack. The remainder of the items can be carried in packs that are attached to the saddle or on the person. One person of each field strike team carries a canvas field stretcher that is rolled up within the closed cell foam ground pad. Additionally, we also require each member to carry a lead line, one roll of vet wrap, VHF radio and a cell phone or FRS radio (GPS units are optional). All teams are deploy as a 72 hour self supporting resource for self and mount, which means food, water and other items as needed by each member. We have a couple of trailers with living quarters which serves as our Base and has also served as the ICP.
Tomi`
TROTSAR Mounted Team

Pennbo's wrote:

ALL SAR personnel in our county are required to carry a ready pack (commonly known as a 24hr pack). ALL personnel. That means groundpounders, ATV, mounted, etc. The IC can add to it or give permission to leave it behind but we are all supposed to show up to a mission with one. (This hasn't always been enforced but is beginning to be enforced seriously now.) Each unit may add to the list as they wish. I'm including the basic list here as you are all horse people and know what kind of additional things a unit would require members to carry if they are mounted. Much of this can be condensed easily and it all fits in moderate sized saddle bags that include horse supplies as well.
Chris Pennington

San Bernardino County Sheriff's Search and Rescue Ready Pack: