msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Shock Absorber

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "T'mi Fi" <tfinkle@erols.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Shock Absorber
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 13:48:30 -0400

Here are some arguments endorsing the use of riding helmets by the The American Riding Instructors Association (ARIA):

1) SAR Head injuries account for approximately 60% of deaths resulting from equestrian accidents. Properly fitted ASTM/SEI certified helmets can prevent death and reduce the severity of head injuries sustained while riding.

2) The most common reason among riders for admission to hospital and death are head injuries.

3) A human skull can be shattered by an impact of 4-6 mph. Horses can gallop at 30 mph.

4) Death is not the only serious outcome of unprotected head injuries. Those who survive with brain injury may suffer epilepsy, intellectual and memory impairment, and personality changes. Racing organizations require helmets and as a result jockeys now suffer fewer head injuries than pleasure riders. The US Pony Club lowered their head injury rate 29 percent with mandatory helmet use. Britain's hospital admission rate for equestrians fell 46 percent after helmet design improved and they came into routine use.

Personally, I would like to congratulate the USEA and USA Equestrian on their mandatory ASTM/SEI helmet rule for eventing effective January 1, 2003 Article 1713 USA Equestrian 2003 Rules <http://www.equestrian.org/2003RuleBook/rule-xvii.pdf>. I am also proud of the fact that the TROTSAR Mounted Search and Rescue Team strongly encourages other equine disciplines to follow their lead and mandate the use of properly fitted ASTM/SEI helmets.
Regards,

Tomi`
TROTSAR Mounted Team

Karen Nesbitt wrote:

One of my arguements supporing the use of a GOOD cowboy hat vs a helmet is the fact that it does more things. Cons on a helmet...well. other than it might protect me from a concussion, it will do nothing for the rest of the story above. INCLUDING giving me the added SHOCK ABSORBING ATTRIBUTE FOR MY NECK. (AGAIN KEY WORDS - my neck)
In all this, though, I advocate that first and foremost is for all to learn the anatomy of a fall and learning how to take a fall from a horse and how to do it correctly to protect your head and rest of the body will do more for any rider than relying on any helmet or other protective gear.
I also must comment, that no amount of protective gear is 100% fail safe..We are as riders all not created equal and our bone density and general health will play a factor on how we take a fall and survive it.
Karen Nesbitt
Iroquois County - VMSAR
Illinois