msar-riders - [MSAR] Shock Absorber

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Shock Absorber
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 09:51:11 -0700 (PDT)

One of my arguements supporing the use of a GOOD cowboy hat vs a helmet is the fact that it does more things.

1)  A GOOD COWBOY HAT keeps the sun out of my face and protects it and my ears from sunburn and to my skin cancer prone nose, this is important.  Sun screen sweats off and is useless on a hot long day.

2)  A GOOD COWBOY HAT keeps the rain and the wind and grit out of my face which inturn can protect my eyes.  As for a helmet...no brim!

3)  A GOOD COWBOY  HAT  be it straw or a Stetson  hat with a proper inner band absorbs my sweat and Lord knows how I sweat.  I have nto found a helmet with a good sweat band.

4) If needed,  A GOOD COWBOY  HAT keeps AND will pot water with the exception OF the straw (although there are some darn good straws that will DO ALL OF THE ABOVE AND EVEN pot water!!)  And Lord knows how this can be important when you have run out and lost your canteen and the shallow puddle ahead of you is your only source of moisture.
A helmet, most have holes or slots in them....hmmmm....

5) AND to me the most important part, the brim whether or not it is a straw or a Stetson acts as a shock absorber IF I fall which will protect my neck and head as my head might not hit the ground IF the brim functions correctly.  Again, the helmet, has no brim and therefore NOT enough SHOCH ABSORBER FOR MY NECK.  (key word - my.)

Cons on a helmet...well. other than it might protect me from a concussion, it will do nothing for the rest of the story above. INCLUDING giving me the added SHOCK ABSORBING ATTRIBUTE FOR MY NECK.  (AGAIN KEY WORDS - my neck)

In all this, though, I advocate that first and foremost is for all to learn the anatomy of a fall and learning how to take a fall from a horse and how to do it correctly to protect your head and rest of the body will do more for any rider than relying on any helmet or other protective gear.

If we are going to be so vulnerable, perhaps the best outfit for all of us to ride in is a "fat suit" made of 4 inch padding from head to toe.  But we are talking search and rescue missions and part of this is also the aspect of survival.

One big rule, the ground is hard and does not move when you hit it...YOU DO!  So learning how to rock and roll with the punches will save your bacon no matter how you protect yoru head and whther you have a hat on onr not.

Personally, I would rather protect the whole package AND have form and function than opt of a peice of equipment that has limited use.  But then, that is me and once again the arguements for it.  When I ride and each time I ride, I am geared up and liooking into the act of survival and whether I am helping someone or not.

I also must comment, that no amount of protective gear is 100% fail safe..We are as riders all not created equal and our bone density and general health will play a factor on how we take a fall and survive it.

Karen Nesbitt
Iroquois County - VMSAR
Illinois