msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] H.R. 606, Volunteer Emergency Responder Fair Mileage Act of 2007

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] H.R. 606, Volunteer Emergency Responder Fair Mileage Act of 2007
  • Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 16:03:32 -0600

Two separate issues, as Irv noted, both pertaining only to USA
federal income taxes and volunteer SAR responders:

>exclude from gross income mileage reimbursements
>to volunteer emergency medical responders and
>volunteer firefighters

Reimbursed expenses already are excluded from gross income.

>increase the mileage allowance for charitable contributions
>for the benefit of volunteer fire departments, and for other
>purposes."

Personally, I wish the mileage deduction for *all* charitable
organization volunteers were the same as the mileage deduction
for business use of a vehicle. Why limit the Act to volunteer
responders? For 2006 the business rate was 44.5 cents/mile
while the volunteer/charitable rate was a mere 14 cents/mile.
The medical rate is also a scandal. Here is a handy table:

http://www.biztaxadvisor.com/IRS-mileage-rate.html

And here is an analysis of the pros and cons of using the IRS
standard mileage deduction, or using actual expenses:

http://www.biztaxadvisor.com/irs-mileage.html

As Irv said, for MSAR responders with our trucks and trailers
and consequent terrible fuel economy, actual expenses probably
will be a far larger deduction.

Hope this helps,