msar-riders - [MSAR] Scent aware training

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] Scent aware training
  • Date: Sun, 1 Apr 2007 14:04:41 -0600

Karen Nesbitt wrote:
>Question: How far on the wind can an oder carry? In otherwords, in any
>practice search, what is the greatest distance you have smelled oder that
>would give you an indication of a possible victim who has passed?

Hi Karen,

All these questions are in the realm of "scent aware" training.
And, in general, "it depends". I've personally scented a dead
cow over 1/4 mile away. The cow was in an erosion gulley, near
a spring at the top of the gully. The scent flowed down the
gulley to me. But I have also helped to recover a body that a
cadaver dog found under snow: in that case I scented nothing.

As a rule, you need to be in the right place (downwind but not
too far downwind), at the right time, in the right envronmental
conditions.

As a biologist I am most familiar with animal behavior research
on scenting, but it has relatively little application. To learn
hands-on, SAR-applicable stuff I suggest working with a SAR dog
team. Volunteer to be a training search subject.

> What other things in nature do you rely on in any search to help you track?

When I track I look for visual cues. No way do I scent well
enough for scent tracking. There are good books, trainers, and
conferences on visual tracking.

When riding my SAR horse, I pay close attention to her. She has
learned to alert on people regardless of how she detects them
(sight, scent, or sound).

Folks, what materials do you recommend for scent aware training?