msar-riders - [MSAR] job security

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Becky" <blorimor@mchsi.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] job security
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 21:59:33 -0500

Hey Group!
    In starting our new MSAR, we have yet another question that maybe some of you have experienced, and, hopefully, many of you can give us some insight on.
    Are there any federal, or some state, regulations on job security or policy when a MSAR or SAR group is called out? Does your employer a) have to let you go, b) let you go with pay, c) can they fire you, d) do you have to take it as vacation, etc.?
    In trying to recruit, this is a question that has come up, and I'm sure it has come up for others also. One prospective member asked if this was like the National Guard and they had to let you go to a call with no recriminations on your job. What's the general consensus out there?
    We realize that this may differ from state to state, but would like some input. Can you help us out??
    BTW, Irv, want to thank you for the CD - it contains a wealth of info. Thanks
    Becky in Iowa