msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] GPS Tip

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Patty Montoya" <riverrider@bak.rr.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] GPS Tip
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:44:08 -0800

This was a great learning exercise!!! We often learn more by our mistakes. A couple of years ago several of us had a similar problem and were WAY off. It turned out that we had set our units to the wrong setting, minutes versus seconds. It is a mistake that we have NEVER made again. I'm sure this problem had been covered many times during instruction, but it never really made an impact until we tried in vain to search for a destination with the wrong settings.

Also, this past weekend we had a search scenario training that included GPS/teams/etc. Our team leader gave us a great tip:
Since our Rinos are powered by AA batteries, it is wise to try to use other tools with AA batteries, such as a flashlight, etc. He explained that if all of your electronics use the same type of battery then you only have to carry one type of battery and they are interchangeable. I thought it was a great tip and thought I'd pass it on. Now I can toss out my C, D, and AAA batteries and lighten my load.

Patty/California

----- Original Message ----- From: "Una Smith" <una.smith@att.net>