msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] GPS Tip

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Marie Lester" <marie.lester@gmail.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] GPS Tip
  • Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:01:41 -0500

Even though our unit begins exercises with a reminder that each GPS
should be set on WGS84 map datum, another issue that needs to be
resolved is that all participants set thier GPS units on the same
Lat/Lon Coordinates. (DEG/MIN/MM, DEG/MIN/MMM, DEG/MIN/SEC,
DEG.DDDD) We have noted, however, that Garmins and Magellans do not
have exactly the same options. This is one factor that contributes to
such discrepancies in location. Our observations are that operator
error, receiver capability in each unit, and circumstance affect
accuracy as well.

Marie Lester
COMSU