msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR in Iowa

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Mounted SAR in Iowa
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 22:30:30 -0800

----- Original Message -----
>>The direction that SAR is going within the state is also following the NIMS typing system, which includes different levels. http://www.fema.gov/pdf/emergency/nims/sar_jobtitle_111806.pdf
A .pdf file on the FEMA website that gives some standardization information for SAR. Mounted SAR is not included in this listing, but Job title 35 (Wilderness Search and/or Rescue Technician) is useful for ground team SAR (wilderness being in contrast to Urban which is mostly handled in Structural Collapse I believe).<<
There is still a lot of work in progress at the national level, as well as reviews for possible revisions of existing documents. (The NRP is currently under review.) Typing for SAR has been recommended for review at the national level. Some of this is being driven by the Credentialing task groups also in progress at the national level for SAR, so there will be consistency for job titles and related expectations. I've been asked for input regarding SAR Credentialing, and tried to also consider how that may impact MSAR going forward.

Mounted SAR isn't on the radar yet at the national level, essentially waiting for the standards to be completed through ASTM before addressing MSAR credentialing and Typing. There are also standards for SAR as a disaster responder in progress. For disaster response purposes, CERT - or equivalent - is considered a good basic foundation.

There are only a few states that even address SAR - much less MSAR - at the statewide level for consistency for mutual aid. While the statewide document needs revisions in CA for MSAR, you might get some ideas for state level mutual aid minimum expectations. In CA we have a State SAR Coordinator (many states do not) in our Office of Emergency Services
and the documents are on the CA OES web site:

~ ~ ~ ~
Jorene Downs
SAR & CERT
Mounted SAR