msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] NAIS (OT)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] NAIS (OT)
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 22:23:51 -0700

(For the non-US subscribers here: NAIS concerns only the United
States.)

Thor Burfine wrote:
>Could you post the list info so we can read the archives?

NAIS has been a hot topic on a lot of discussion groups. One
that I follow is rec.equestrian, a Usenet newsgroup. Usenet
groups are archived on Google. Here is a relevant search URL:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.equestrian/search?q=NAIS&start=0&scoring=d&;

New Mexico is running an advance test implementation of both
components (animal identification and premises identification)
through its state livestock board. One reason for this is
that New Mexico is a brand inspection state and has a formal
registration process for issuing a transportation permit for
each horse. And some New Mexico counties also have something
like a premises registry already, because when a transportation
permit is issued the location of the horse is recorded, and
the state livestock board sends that data to the local county
government. Some counties have a livestock property tax and
use the data from the livestock board to enroll horse owners
on their tax rolls. My county does this and my mare's annual
tax is about $5. (The price of a cheap lunch or an expensive
coffee.)

So I looked at New Mexico's premises identification enrollment
scheme and it is depressingly unworkable. I am considering
participating to the fullest extent possible, simply to help
my area livestock inspectors (who I think are good guys) to
understand sooner than later what a mess they will be facing.

http://www.newmexicolivestockboard.com/Files/NAIP/NAIP.htm

NAIS's Equine Species Working Group has released a short report:

http://animalid.aphis.usda.gov/nais/naislibrary/documents/plans_reports/ESWG_Recommendations_August_1_2006.pdf

See in particular paragraphs 3 and 7; together, they define a
very narrow context in which data on horse movements would need
to be recorded, and a still narrower context in which it would
need to be reported.

Mounted Search and Rescue
http://www.ibiblio.org/msar/

MSAR-Riders