msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horse instinct

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Ms Teri Oliver <terilynne3@yahoo.com>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horse instinct
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 13:54:42 -0800 (PST)

I believe that most of it has to do with your relationship towards your horse. I can sleep in the stall with my horse and know she won't step on me.  However, she liked to ran over someone else (avoided him but the way he told it...well, you get the drift) to get out the barn first. She didn't see him and when she did, she avoided him.

I also believe that how the horse perceives humans in their herd will also have a big part of the kicking/charging issue. I horse with no respect will kick at a human. Sometimes a human can also get caught up in the pasture between the horse on horse relationship and get hurt.

Yes, some horses have a mean streak and will try and hurt people. I firmly believe that is because of abuse and sometimes they just have a mean streak in them. Most horses however, can love you, like they would their best friend.

Sincerely

Teri Oliver