msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Horse instinct

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: ALLEN SNYDER <allendana1@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Horse instinct
  • Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2007 07:29:01 -0800 (PST)

I have not personally ever been charged by a horse, but have had them warn me with their teeth if they did not like something ie a sensitive/girthy TB who reached around and nipped/pinched me as I was tacking up.  He was disciplined immediately in the snout and never did it again.

 My very kind, almost 19 year old appendix QH once communicated freshness and frustration at not being turned out while waiting on the vet, with a careful nip.  I said "Ow!" to communicate surprise and he immediately realized it could have hurt me, but did not.  This same horse can be trusted to "groom" me gently with lips as I groom him which is a compliment from a horse.  He has been known to charge other horses in the pasture to "protect" me as his owner or keeper of his treats.

I know that mares or horses who feel their herd or foals are threatened could charge.  I would not go into a foaling stall with a mare who did not know or trust me.

I can safely "play" in an arena with either of my older geldings.  They follow often like dogs without a lead rope and can run and buck, but never come close to striking me with a foot accidentally or on purpose.  Hope this helps!  Dana Snyder RN

Emily Horsman <horsmane@kellogg.edu> wrote:
I'm with Great Lakes Search Team, of Battle Creek Michigan.  I was recently asked by a local professor if horses have a "natural instinct" to not charge/harm people.  I told him that they are primarily animals of prey, and not prey animals, and therefore I don't believe they would intentionally harm people, but advised him that I would ask the experts (you).  Any info on this would help.  Thanks.
Emily L. Horsman

Emily L. Horsman
Academic Advisor
Kellogg Community College

Did you know....
At least once a week, 28% of high school students fall asleep in school, 22% fall asleep while doing homework and 14% get to school late or miss school because they overslept!