msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Options

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Karen Nesbitt <spanishequines@yahoo.com>
  • To: MSAR <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Options
  • Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 12:11:25 -0400

[Standardized quotes, deleted HTML duplicate. -Una]

Una Smith wrote:
>Karen, Indiana does not have a very prominent SAR community, at
>least not on the web. But what is on the web suggests that in
>Indiana SAR often is not a county function. So why limit your
>potential teammates to people (riders) resident in your county?

Una - I personally would not want to limit it! But I know what does!
Three words! LACK OF FUNDING! Unfortunately, that is what puts the limits
on every one! FUNDING...

(As a volunteer, we are out of pocket for everything, including our horses,
gear,
travel, etc. )

BTW - I am not in Indiana, but close to the border. I personally would not
want to place limits on a team being just from my county, though I am curious
to where
if any in my county they are!
...I think as a volunteer we need to be open if not flexible to as far as
we are able to travel be that county or to another state if necessary and or
available. Whether we will be able to, that is another issue...

MSAR riders are a limited resource already and so limiting it further by
anyone saying well your from so and so county or your a volunteer so you
cannot go there would make no sense. As I "lurk" on this website, the longer
I am here, the more we get to hash the pros and cons of volunteering etc and
though many of us will never actually met each other in person, it is a great
forum for all of us to share what we do in our own areas. It gives us
insight and I for one can really appreciate that. I think this forum is a
great network that in essence puts together all of us as a nationwide team.

We hit our high points and lows and we all learn by whatever mistakes!

My current and immediate "team" is a husband and wife venture using one
horse
and due to the retiring status of my previous mount, the new mount is a
green horse...
....we function independant, but if someone local or far is wanting to get
together with us, that can be done by contacting us be it for a mission or
just a get-together to share information and experiences. If other
"independants" want to get together to just ride, that too is a doable
situation...just depends on who is wiling and able to travel...little
gettogethers between individuals too can help to hone each others skills or
share in knowledge.

Obviously we cannot do all missions and all functions and have to be
conservative on outside activities as anyone would if they to are functioning
independent and how their
personal budget allows them. If it was our "career", deployment is a lot
different. For us, we are limited in how far we can go to a mission. It can
be very discouraging...but even though that is discouraging, I would not let
that stay us from the idea of being available as one never knows where or
when the call will come and it is your turn. I would want those who are in
the same situation as I am to not be discouraged but to hang in there and
keep on keeping on to the best of their ability. Wishing for a mission is
not what any of this is all about, as GOD forbid we all ask for a
disaster..but what it is also about is being prepared and to always leave
yourself open to learn when and where you can.

(We all have to start someplace and those in it be you volunteer or career,
eventually
you do retire so the need for someone else will always be there.)

Una, you also mentioned that not all established units like to use
volunteers, however,
there may come a time when they too are running on reserves or spent on
those available...so to me, as a horseman and also as a MSAR volunteer, I
like to think in terms of preparedness be it for my own sake or someone
elses. Take the two horsemen in the accident this past week ..you are a
horseman suddenly thrown into a situation that is unthinkable...
...the very fact that we all own horses and how quick an accident can
happen should be enough for every horseman to be a even a little "rescue"
savy whether you volunteer or not. The victims never volunteer for the
accidents and goodness knows, they all happen.

Karen Nesbitt
Illinois - Unaffiliated
Iroquois County

Today's bumber sticker:

Old MSAR's do not die, their search just takes them to a higher
level

VISIT US AT:
http://kbefarms.bravehost.com/index.html
Join in our NEW FORUM