msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Riding helmet / Western

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Marie Lester" <marie.lester@gmail.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Riding helmet / Western
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 07:41:18 -0400

I cannot pass up an opportunity to comment about the helmet discussion
any longer. It can be quite the sensitive issue, and we actually lost
a member over it.
It is difficult for me to understand how a unit that works with
professional services to save and rescue people would not advocate and
mandate the use of a helmet as part of a uniform. Folks are quick to
make "long pants and shirt with sleeves" mandatory for uniform, but
not something that so obviously keeps them SAFER.

My son is alive because he was wearing a helmet when hit by a truck
during his bike ride to work. I sustained only a bruise when bumped
in the head during a fall from a horse....
One could go on and on.

If we are to serve, it is our responsibility to keep ourselves as safe
as possible. Our unit does require this as part of our uniform.
Central Ohio Mounted Search Unit

On 7/12/06, Una Smith <una.smith@att.net> wrote:
Lois Guyon wrote:
>I have found that all helmets are very comfortable in the sun.

I second this. And I am in New Mexico.

When not riding I typically wear a wide full brim hat to save
my neck and ears (especially my ears) from sunburn and other
consequences of too much exposure to UV radiation.

Rather than search the world for a riding helmet with such a
brim, I tuck a bandana under a standard schooling helmet
that has a standard snap-on visor. The bandana makes a flap
covering my ears and neck. Locally, most workmen who wear
hardhats have similar flaps on their hats; these appear to
be a standard hardhat accessory. They are not homebrew like
my bandana.

My helmet is a model SEI-certified as passing the relevant
ASTM testing standard. That certification is important to
me.

In very hot weather, I wet the bandana flap: in the dry New
Mexico climate, evaporative cooling is extremely effective.