msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] GPS and field navigation

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "LAURI STRUVE" <lstruve@msn.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] GPS and field navigation
  • Date: Tue, 4 Jul 2006 10:48:23 -0500

One handy use of GPS is for marking where clues are found, where it looks
like we have tracks etc. OBSAR teams then radio the lat long back to
operations, who enter them in the computer, also teams give coords every 15
minutes and you get a pretty good overview of how a search area is being
covered, it's also printable to give the information to the agency in charge.
I think that's mostly what we used the GPS for, used map and compass for
everything else.
Lauri.