msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Organizing a new msar unit

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "LAURI STRUVE" <lstruve@msn.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Organizing a new msar unit
  • Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 05:04:52 -0500

From: "D Statler" <dorene1001@yahoo.com>
To: <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 11:36 AM
Subject: [MSAR] Organizing a new msar unit

We are a fairly new MSAR group. I have some questions that I'm hoping will
get some answers to guide us in organizing our group.

What type of training do you feel is most important for YOUR group?

I think all MSAR team members need to be competent on the ground. training in orienteering, in the various search techniques, it all applies in and out of the saddle. There are also times when you may be called to a search in an area where the horses just won't work, will you say no, we can't come if we can't ride?

For MSAR units that work closely with your county sheriff, how do they
utilize your group most often?

the Osage Beach MO team I left when I moved to Iowa was used by SOs for recovery of drowning victims ( really helped a family who wanted to rule out whether a dv had made it to shore) we've been used to verify the legitimacy of a body dumping report, and also missing children and adults.

Do you use any special software to keep track of members / horses /
training?

we just used spread sheets.

I would also like to get started on SOP and SOG's. Is there a web resource
that will get me started?

You're here... MSAR riders is the ultimate source.

Lauri