msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] training course (not!)

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] training course (not!)
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 08:07:57 -0600

Beckie Duck wrote:
>Hello, My name is Beckie Duck. My husband is Jim Duck and he has started a
>horseback search and rescue team.

Great! Where?

> We received a request form for the Laci and Conner Search and Rescue Fund.
>We are interested in getting some training for our team.

The Laci and Connor Search and Rescue Fund has nothing to do
with training SAR teams. Its main purpose is to solicit funds,
and it is operated by the Sund/Carrington Foundation. Per
http://www.lacipeterson.com/sundcarrington.html, the mission of
the foundation (and this fund too, apparently) is "to provide
funds to families without economic means to offer rewards for
information". If you are not in the US you might not know Laci
Peterson was a pregnant woman, and Connor her unborn child, who
were murdered. The search, and the eventual criminal trial of
her husband Scott Peterson, were a media sensation in the US.

>Can you please email me some information about this, and any other helpful
>information for us to get started on.

You have found MSAR-Riders (welcome!), so you are ahead of the
game. Look at our web archive, dating back to 2002; the topic
of starting up a new team and getting training has been popular
and there is a lot of good information in our archive. You can
Google it: use the Google Advanced Search page, and restrict
your search to the domain ibiblio.org.

Una Smith
New Mexico, USA