msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] pelleted feed

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Juanita Hayes <j28l61h@yahoo.com>
  • To: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] pelleted feed
  • Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 04:27:17 -0800 (PST)

I've been reading the posts w alot of interest- I've got a 33 yo QH who's
still active in SAR- He has no molars left- you can hear the gums sliding
when he makes his "ugly face" at the other horses. Pelleted grain has
probably saved his life. Whole grains go thru him without providing ANY
nutrition- He can't chew them,so the grains come out looking just like they
went in. Hay doesn't even make it that far- he just rolls it into cuds and
spits them out.
Special case aside- In general, feeding grain is NOT "natural" to me, but
it is a neccessary evil- we ask our horses to live in our world. Pelleted
feed has always made sense to me- it's "pre-digested" and is easy to add lots
of water to. I've had horses choke with beet pulp or bran mash more often
than colic with pelleted feed. (Usually when someone "helps" feed and doesn't
know how vital that soak time is) My horses all eat with gusto, have 24/7
turnout, and free access to good mixed grass hay.
Purina and Buckeye (and probably many other feed mills) make wonderful
feeds that transport well, and fill a horse's gut with wonderful fiber-
something I just don't feel "whole/texturized" grain does as well. I try to
find the feed with the least "sweet" to it I can- mostly because I hate it
when the stuff freezes solid, and I think my horses are less likely to bolt a
dryer feed.

Juanita Hayes
TROT-SAR

Yahoo! Mail