msar-riders - [MSAR] So, you made a find. Now what!?

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Una Smith <una.smith@att.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] So, you made a find. Now what!?
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 13:08:19 -0700

Sherry C. Hicks wrote:
>We recently had a "rescue" where three rescuers went on foot to recover a 68
>year old man who was lost in the mountains, within the Smokey Mountains
>National Park. They found the man who was severely hypothermic. When they
>found him night was coming and the temperature was dropping. He was unable
>to walk. They did not have enough manpower or equipment to carry him out.
>The victim had more protective equipment than they did. They were in an area
>of the park with no communication. In the end they were all hypothermic and
>had to be sent to the hospital when they got out of the woods.

There are some key details missing here. Is that deliberate, a
mental puzzle game where we are supposed to think up solutions?

Severe hypothermia requires immediate attention, hence by the 3
rescuers. Shelter, water, warmth, food, in that order. I would
expect the 3 rescuers to stay there overnight with the subject,
treating for hypothermia and shock. Or, if conditions are good
for it, 2 walk out and one stays with the subject. If all stay
overnight, then depending on the situation the next day, either
2 rescuers walk out to get extra help, or all 4 people walk out
together.

>What will you do when your victim has fallen, has internal injuries and is
>unable to ride?

Does the second paragraph refer to the same mission? Horseback
riding is not appropriate for someone with internal abdominal
injuries. But if it is a clear choice between imminent death
and not appropriate, I'd choose not appropriate. Wouldn't you?