msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Propose to your local AHJ

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Propose to your local AHJ
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 19:29:21 -0500

A class is worth what your local AHJ thinks it is worth. NASAR is not a
recognized vendor in many areas and therefore any investment in SAR TEK
testing is too much. I have found that you can locate training resources
that are free or just expenses in most areas. Or you can work a deal.
For instance, if you take a Red Cross CPR-Pro with AED class in the
community system it can cost you $100 or more, and a day. If your group has
a person willing to become an in-house instructor you can be a Red Cross
Provider site and only pay for the per student paperwork charge, around $7
each after an initial investment to get one set of training materials. If
you train 10 people a year you save after the first year. If all you do is
recerts you save even faster. And you can provide community courses to get
people in the door.

Investigate how the volunteer fire and EMS get their training. Around here
HazMat is paid for by the LERC using SARA III fees and they even pay the
instructor for you. Fire and EMS is subsidized by the county and the
community college, so you get a break. Around here texts are about 20% off,
classes about half what you pay elsewhere.

Lastly, look at what you have to do to pass some commercial vendor's course.
Buying snowshoes to have required equipment when you are in Florida is a
waste. Do you need 3 days supplies for a routine mission? Your horse maybe,
but not for you around here where the call for a canteen truck goes out as
soon as the call for a search team. Other than people water I have
eliminated almost all so called camp out supplies from my saddle bags.
Unless I am disabled I am riding in at end of task. If I am disabled I would
have a hard time setting up the shelter and boiling broth anyway.
And how many areas will let you light a fire even to save a life?

Learning how to use a compass and read a map is easy. Invest in a $10
compass, a police whistle, a piece of rawhide lace for a neck piece and you
are in business. The cheap, plastic, compasses work just as well as an Army
surplus lensatic in armor plate, and may work better because you can wear it
around your neck and actually use it on a horse.

Trust to your instincts and your experience.

Irv Lichtenstein