msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Christopher Reeves....a fallen SUPERMAN...

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: Pennbo <pennbo@bbv.net>
  • To: Mounted search and rescue <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Christopher Reeves....a fallen SUPERMAN...
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 22:24:10 -0800

Sounds painful Phillip! I had an accident several years ago on my SEASONED search and rescue horse. Still don't know what happened- we think it was probably a wasp sting just as I swung up to mount. End result was I chose to bail rather than crash and as I did my horse swerved. My planned trajectory became obsolete and I hit my helmeted head on the corner of a welded trailer bumper. That's a SQUARE metal corner. Without that helmet there would have been gray matter all over the place. I tore the trapezius muscle where it attaches to the skull and yes it hurt like heck for a long time- BUT I can still walk, talk, and hug my loved ones.

The unexpected can happen even to the best prepared. Why take chances?

Chris Pennington
Big Bear Sheriff's Posse