msar-riders - [MSAR] helmets

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Patty Montoya" <riverrider@bak.rr.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [MSAR] helmets
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 06:59:45 -0800

I guess I should clarigy a couple of things from an earlier posting:

When I mentioned the bicycle helmet, I didn't mean I was using it for horses...I was using it for bicycles (two times), hated it, and never used it again. I was just wondering if helmets had progressed enough for me to try again, both equine for riding my horses, and bicycle for riding bikes.
About the "branch" that went through my friend's vent hole...it wasn't big enough, or strong enough to go through her head. It just caught the vent hole in a freak accident and almost knocked her off her horse, so I was wondering if anyone knew of helmets with either smaller holes, or perhaps the holes in the back, or a breathable cover for the helmet to protect the holes. In my part of the country we ride under a lot of low hanging limbs and I've had my western hat knocked off frequently.
Also, thanks for the info on the hat "shades", what a great idea, the summer sun really does a job on us and this shade will help.

I wasn't on the mailring last year, so I really appreciated the input on this thread.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your responses, I have gained a lot of info and insight on making a decision of what type of helmet to buy.

Patty/CA

  • [MSAR] helmets, Patty Montoya, 01/30/2006