msar-riders - [MSAR] Riding Helmets

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: possegal@att.net
  • To: riverrider@bak.rr.com
  • Cc: msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [MSAR] Riding Helmets
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2006 16:05:26 +0000

Hi Patty,I live in Vacaville Ca, and am a member of the local Sheriff's Posse.

I have always worn a helmet. Bicycle helmets dont seem to fit as well as
equestrian riding. One brand that I highly recommend is the Tipperary Sport
Helmet by Phoenix Performance Products. It is sporty, cool, stable, and it
comes down the back of your head more than the Toxel and International
Helmets ( tho now those models have an adjustment knob on the back to permit
perfect fitting). Riding Helmets have come a long way. If you have a problem
finding a helmet give me a call, I can help. I own a tack store and help
non-profits and their members get safety equipment.

Our Sheriff's Posse adopted a helmet policy about five years ago. We lost a
couple of members over it but the gains have been better. At every event we
participate at leaast one parent praises our use of helmets and how it sets a
good example for kids. We use the police helmet by International. It runs
about $89 directly from International and is available to public agencies. (I
can help here also if anyone is interested). It is alittle heavier than the
consumer helmet but has a more professional look and can be customized with a
stripe of your color choice. It comes in black or white and in actual hat
sizes instead of sizes sm-lg like consumer helmets.

It has been a hard battle for many groups. In Calif, the California Gymkhana
Association finally was able to pass a regulation that any rider under 18 had
to wear a helmet any time the person is on their horse at the show grounds.
Unfortunately some of the kids can't wait until they are 18 to let the 'wind
blow through their hair'. It is also a shame that it takes a regulation for
parents to protect their kids from potential injury.
I am surprised that nowadays any organization that is sponsored by a public
agency isn't required to to wear a helmet for liabilty sake alone. Vanity is
not worth your life.
--
Carla J Olsen
possegal@att.net