msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Hard hats / Helmets

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "irvin lichtenstein" <ilichten1@verizon.net>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Hard hats / Helmets
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2006 07:47:42 -0500

You have several problems. At least around here (PA) 4-H insists on an
approved helmet. This means an ASTM compliant design certified by SEI. The
Pony Club also requires helmets as do most of the competitive disciplines
under FEI or USEF rules. The simple fact is that helmets save heads.
Studies done at Harbor View Medical Center (Seattle) indicate that a proper
helmet worn correctly can eliminate most hospital stays after a fall. And
people who get admitted have over a 60% chance of brain injury as I recall.
Brain injury is not nice-- the local trauma center recently presented a
review of a 19 year old who didn't wear a seat belt and hit the windshield.
He lived, he might learn to talk again in a year or two.

I started wearing one roughly 16 years ago and I have destroyed three in
that period. Impacts with concrete, tree branches, etc. and never a scratch
to my head. Definitely worth the "embarrassment" of wearing a helmet.