msar-riders - Re: [MSAR] Foal Watch

msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Mounted search and rescue

  • From: "Jorene Downs" <Jorene@CEOates.com>
  • To: "Mounted search and rescue" <msar-riders@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [MSAR] Foal Watch
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:24:36 -0800

How old is this foal now?

At @ 4 months the nutritional value of the dam's milk starts to decline. Any suckling beyond that age is primarily for the foal's comfort pre-separation. It sounds like you've weaned the foal with the exception of separation - which also allows the dam to dry up her milk and focus on her own nutrition - which normally occurs at 4-6 months.

-Jorene

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ms Teri Oliver" <terilynne3@yahoo.com>
Yes, she is alive and very healthy. She lays down on command, bows and I have even brought her in the house, albiet not anymore...she is too big now. She has been thoroughly spoiled by everyone, including her mother, who still allows her to nurse. No harm there, she is just receiving added nutrition and love to her grain, hay and other nutrients. She was shown at age 3 mos and placed 3rd in her Foal Halter Class. She got bored and fell asleep. It was cute as heck.

She has already pulled a sled for the Christmas parade (put wheels under it and stuffed santa in it and decked her out w/bells and lights). No real weight, she was led.

Well, tc all. Time to feed the bottomless pits.

Terilynne

Claudia LaChance <Claudia@tqc.com> wrote:
Congrats on a live and healthy (?) birth!

Claudia LaChance
www.horseaddiction.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ms Teri Oliver"